Masonic & Scottish Rite Time Line

Charleston, South Carolina

By: Ill. Brother McDonald “Don” Burbidge, 33°

Listed below is a time table that traces the Masonic events in Charleston, South Carolina starting on January 8, 1731 with the arrival of Brother Thomas Whitemarsh who is said to be the first Mason in the Carolina’s by Brother Benjamin Franklin of Piladelphia and ending in the year 1850. 

The areas to be covered are Lodge formations, persons, arrivals, births, and deaths of the many men who made Masonic history through out the years in Charleston along with a brief history of the many events of historic value. 

1731  Brother Thomas Whitemarsh arrives in Charleston to start the eighth paper printed in America and publishes the first issue on January 8. Brother Whitemarsh is also one of the first Masons in Charles Town and an apprentice of Benjamin Franklin. Brother Whitemarsh was made a Mason at St. John’s Lodge in Philadelphia on July 5, 1731. Possible the first Mason in the Carolina’s according to Benjamin Franklin.                   

1732  (Jan 8) The South Carolina Gazette publishes its first edition and is published by Thomas Whitemarsh who is one of the first known Masons in the Carolina’s.

1733  Brother Thomas Whitemarsh dies and is buried at St. Philip’s Church 

1734  (Feb 2) After the death of its first editor, The South Carolina Gazette resumes publication under Lewis Timothy, who is backed by Ben Franklin.

1735  Solomon’s Lodge No. 1 is established in Charleston.

1736   October 28: Solomon’s Lodge No. 1 is established in Charles Town and printed in the Gazette is the following announcement. 

“Last night a Lodge of the Ancient and Honorable Society of Free and Accepted Masons, was held, for the first time, at Mr. Charles Shepheard’s, in Broad Street, when John Hammerton, Esq., Secretary and Receiver General for this Province was unanimously chosen Master, who was pleased to appoint Mr. Thomas Denne, Senior Warden, Mr. Tho. Harbin, Junior Warden, and Mr. James Gordon, Secretary.”

1737   First systematic, scientific recording of weather information Dr. John Lining (1708-        1760) took observations of Charles Town's weather three times a day from his home on Broad Street. He recorded temperature, rainfall, atmospheric pressure, humidity, wind direction, and wind speed.  

May 21- at the request of the Antients and honorable Society of Free and Accepted Masons, At the Theatre in Queen Street, On Thursday next the 26th Instant, will be         performed a Comedy called the RECRUITING OFFICER, with a Prologue, Epilogue and Song suitable to the Occasion, to which will be added a new Dance called HARLEQUIN and the CLOWN, and the Song of MAD TOM improper Habiliments.

        [George Farquhar.]

July 2, The sloop “Free-Mason arrives in Charles Town Harbor. July 21, “last Thursday, (21st July, 1737), John Hammerton, Esq., Receiver General of his Majesty'’ Quit-rents, Secretary and one of his Majesty’s Honorable Council, who has been the first Master of the Lodge of the Ancient and Honorable Society of Free Masons in this place, and intending to embark on broad the ship Molly Galley, John Caruthers, Master, for London, at a Lodge held that evening, resigned his office, for the true and faithful discharge of which he received the thanks of the whole Society, who were 30 in number. James Graeme, Esq., was then unanimously chosen Master in his room, and having been duly            installed into that office with the usual ceremonies, was pleased to chose and appoint James Wright, Esq., who was Junior Warden, to be Senior Warden, and Maurice Lewis, Esq., Junior Warden.” 

December 8, Arrival at Charles-Town the ship “Free Mason.” 

December 29, On Tuesday last, being St. John’s day, all the members of the Ancient and Honorable Society of Free and Accepted Masons in this place met at Mr. Seaman’s, Master of Solomon’s Lodge, from whence they proceeded, all properly clothed, under the sound of French horns, to wait on James Graeme, Esq., Provincial Grand Master, at his house in Broad Street, where they were received by all the members of the Grand Lodge. After a short stay there, they all went in procession and with the ensigns of their Order into the Court-Room at Mr. Charles Shepheard’s house, making a very grand show. Here, to a numerous audience of Ladies and Gentlemen, who were admitted by tickets, the Grand Master made a very elegant speech in praise of Masonry, which we hear was universally applauded. The the Grand Lodge withdrew in order to proceed to the election of a Grand Master for the ensuing year, when James Graeme, Esq., was unanimously re-chosen Grand Master, Maurice Lewis, Esq., Senior Grand Warden, John Crookshanks, Esq., Junior Grand Warden, James Mitchie, Esq., Grand Treasurer, and James Gordon, Esq., Grand Secretary.

1738   January 26, We hear that at Mr. William Flud’s, at the sign of the Harp and Crown,          is held a Lodge of Ancient and Honorable Society of Free and Accepted Masons, belonging to the Lodge of St. John. Dr. Newman Oglethorpe being chosen Master.

Brother Lewis Timothy dies and is buried at St. Philip’s Church.

December 28, The day was ushered in with firing of guns at sunrise from several ships in the Harbour, with all their colors flying. At 9 o'clock all the members of Solomon’s Lodge, belonging to the Ancient and Honorable Order of Free and Accepted Masons, met at the house of Honorable James Crokatt, Esq., Master of the said Lodge. At 10, proceeded from thence, properly clothed with the Ensigns of their Order, and Music before them, to the house of the Provincial Grand Master, James Graeme, Esq., where a Grand Lodge was held. James Wright, Esq., elected Provincial Grand Master for the ensuing year, then the following officers were chosen, viz.: Maurice Lewis, Esq., Deputy Provincial Grand Master; Mr. George Seaman, Senior Grand Warden; James Graeme, Esq., Junior Grand Warden; James Michie, Esq., Grand Treasurer, and Mr. James Gordon, Grand Sectary. At 11 o’clock, both Lodges went in procession to Church to attend Divine Service, and in the same order returned to the house of Mr. Charles Shepheard, where, in the Court-Room, to a numerous assembly of ladies and gentlemen, the newly elected Provincial Grand Master made a very eloquent speech of the usefulness of Societies, and the benefit arising therefrom to mankind. The assembly having been dismissed, Solomon’s Lodge proceeded to the election of their officers for the ensuing year, when Mr. John Houghton, was chosen Master; Dr. John Lining, Senior Warden, Mr. David McClellan, Junior Warden; Mr. Arthur Strahan, Secretary, and Mr. Alexander     Murrary, Treasurer. After an elegant dinner all brethren were invited by Capt. Thomas     White on board the Hope; there several loyal health’s were drank, and at their coming      on board and return to shore, they were saluted by the discharge of 39 guns, being the      same number observed in each of the different salutes of this day, so that in all there      were about 250 guns fired. The evening was concluded with a ball and entertainment for the ladies, and the whole was performed with much grandeur and decorum.” 

December 31, Meeting of Solomon’s Lodge and Provincial Grand Lodge at Charleston, South Carolina. Graeme again chosen Provincial Grand Master. Benj. Smith elected Master of the Lodge. 

1740   November 18, A large part of Charleston was destroyed by fire. The Fraternity there contributed two hundred and fifty dollars to the relief fund. 

1741   Brother John Lining is the first person in America to carry out systematic weather     observations. 

Ill. Bro. John Mitchell is born in Ireland.

 Henry Middleton starts work on his gardens at Middleton Place. 

1744   Ill. Bro. Jean Baptiste Delahogue is born in Paris, France.

1748   Dec 28, A group of citizens form the Charleston Library Society, a subscription library stills in existence. One of the original broad members is Dr. John Lining.

1752   Charlestonians adopt Benjamin Franklin and Dr. John Lining’s lighting rod to protect their homes during thunder storms.

1753  Dr. John Lining writes the first description on Yellow Fever in America to Dr. Robert Whytt at Edinburg (The Royal Society).

1755  Jan. 9, And in the Evening, they [the Masons] went to the new Theater, where the           Tragedy called the Distressed Mother was presented with an occasional Prologue and Epilogue, and some Masons Songs between the Acts.

          [Ambrose Phillips.]

The third lodge established in Charles Town and listed under the Grand Lodge of England is named “Union Lodge No. 248.”

Union Kilwinning No.4 is established in Charleston. The warrant for this Lodge was granted May 3 by the Provincial Grand Lodge of South Carolina, to the following persons: Samuel Bowman, D. Campbell, John Cooper, Robert Wells, William Michie, John Bassnett and John Stewart. It received the designation of  “Union Lodge No. 4.” There is an angular circumstance connected with the early history of this Lodge, which can alone explain its change of name from “Union” to  “Union Kilwinning.” 

A Masonic production of Phillips’ The Distressed Mother is included  in “some Masons Songs between the Acts.”  

1756  The fourth Lodge is formed in Charles-Town and is listed as the Grand Lodge of  England as “Master’s No. 249.”

1758  The use of music in connection with Masonic ceremonies. Benjamin Yarnold, organist and Mason, composed “an ANTHEM…played by several masterly Hands” in 1758 for the service in St. Michael’s Church celebrating St. John’s Day. 

1759  Jan. 1, WEDNESDAY last being St. John the Evangelist’s Day, the Ancient and Honorable Fraternity of FREE and ACCEPTED MASONS, had a grand Procession from the Lodge-Room…to St. Michael’s church; where, besides the usual Service, an ANTHEM suitable to the Occasion set to Music by Brother Benjamin Yarnold, was sung, and played by several masterly Hands.

1762  First musical society The St Cecilia Society was founded in Charles Town.

Feb. 20, PROPOSAL for Printing…An Anthem, and An ODE for voices and Instruments, Composed by Benjamin Yarnold, Organist of St. Philip, Charles- Town, South-Carolina: Being the same that was performed before The Ancient Fraternity of FREE-MASONS, at the Installation of the Hon. Benjamin Smith, Esq.; Grand Master in South-Carolina. 

September 18, NOTICE is hereby given, to all members of the Fellowship Society, that they are desired to assemble at the house of Mr. Daniel Cannon, on Wednesday the 20th of October next…to chose the several officers for the ensuing six months. F. Nicholson, Secretary.

Right Rev. Robert Smith delivers a sermon “Charity Sermon for the Masons No. 100” at St. Philip’s Church. This is one of the earliest known sermons in Charles Town.

1766  Franklin Lodge No.2, Charleston, South Carolina. The Provincial Grand Lodge of  South Carolina constituted marine Lodge No. 7 on the 22nd of December 1766. It’s number was subsequently changed to 2, and in 1823, it took the title of Franklin Lodge No. 2. In 1839, by permission of the Grand Lodge, it was amalgamated with Union Kilwinning Lodge No. 4, and its property was placed in the possession of the latter body. The vacant number has never been filled on the registry of the Grand Lodge.

 December 8, The provincial GRAND ANNIVERSARY and General Communication of the most Ancient and Honorable Society of Free and Accepted Masons in South Carolina, is appointed to be holden in Charles-Town, on Saturday the 27th of December…The present Masters and Wardens of the seven regular constituted Lodges, under the provincial Jurisdiction…are particularly desired to be present.

December 29, The new lodge of Free Masons, constituted last Monday, is held at Mr. Benjamin Backhouse's on the Bay, where they are to meet the second and last Monday of every month.

Ill. Bro. James Moultrie is born to Dr. John and Eleanor Moultrie in September at Charleston, South Carolina who was one of the two American born founders of the Supreme Council.  

1767  June 12, Tuesday the 3d day of February, being the Quarterly Meeting of the Friendly Society, all the Members are desired to give their attendance. 

1769  Feb. 2, A New Edition of al the works of the celebrated John Wilkes, Esq.; is now    publishing by Mr. James Rivington, Bookseller, in New York, in 3 Vols. Octavo, at the low price of Two Dollars and a Quarter…Subscription taken in at the Printing-Office.

In March, the Sons of Liberty once again held a public meeting under the Liberty Tree. The occasion was a celebration of the repeal of the Stamp Act. 

1770  Isaac Auld is born on February 25 at Norristown, Pennsylvania.

Mar. 8, On Tuesday last the Appointment of the Hon. Egerton Leigh, to be Grand Master of Free and Accepted Masons in this Province, was notified in due Form…And at the Close of the Ceremony, the following Lines, composed by a Brother, and set to Music by Peter Valton, were sung and played.

June 28th, On Tuesday will be published, LIBERTY. A poem dedicated to the Sons of Liberty in South Carolina. By Rusticus. 

1772  Dec. 31, [The] Antient and Honorable Fraternity of FREE and ACCEPTED MASONS here, held their annual Festival on Monday…the whole Society (upwards of 200 in Number) went to Mr. Pike’s new Suite of Rooms, where the following ODE, by Sir Egerton, was performed, with Voices and Instruments, to universal Satisfaction; the Music composed by their Brother, Peter Valton.

1773  March 22, On Wednesday last the Friendly Brothers of St. Patrick, held an Anniversary Meeting at Mr. Holliday’s Tavern; where they had a very elegant Entertainment. 

April 26, Friday last, being St. George’s Day, upward of Fifty Gentlemen, Natives of Old England, assembled and dined together at Holliday’s Tavern, These Gentlemen have formed themselves into a Society, to meet annually…which has taken the Name of The Sons and Friends of St. George.        

On November 26th Monday, Benjamin Franklin signed partnership with Louis Timothee [Timothy] to succeed Whitmarsh (d. c. 20 Sept 1733) in South Carolina (A 81; P 1:205, 339­42). The partnership agreement mentions that Timothee is "now bound on a Voyage to Charlestown in South Carolina." Evidently Timothee sailed in November. His wife stayed behind to conclude their affairs and probably had Timothee's power of attorney.

The Lodge Alley Inn is named after the adjoining ten-foot wide alley, Lodge Alley.  Paved in Belgian blocks, the alley was created by adjacent landowners to allow access from their homes on State Street to their ships and docks one block away on East Bay Street. It takes its name from the Lodge of Freemasons, First established in the alley in 1773. Lodge Alley is located in an area of the old walled city of Charleston where the French Huguenots once had warehouses and dwellings.

May 31: The Maine Lodge of Masons, which is the Junior in this Town, is the First that is possessed of a Lodge Room, having lately purchased a very convenient one.

1774  November 7 as a means of protesting the harsh treatment shown to Boston, Charleston’s Liberty Boys met in the Masonic Lodge-Room in Lodge Alley and constructed a “rolling stage” or parade float. Upon it effigies of the Pope, the Devil, Lord North, and Governor Thomas Hutchinson of Massachusetts were displayed. The appearance of the float marked the end of a three-day period in which Charleston’s Tea Party was equally important as a symbol of defiance to British oppression.

The Ancient Grand Lodge of England charters Charleston Lodge No. 190 which Meets at the “City Tavern.” This is the sixth Lodge chartered in Charleston.            

(July 7) Charlestonians Henry Middleton, John Rutledge, Edward Rutledge, Thomas Lynch, and Christopher Gadsden are named delegates to the First Continental Congress. 

(Oct 22) Henry Middleton is chosen President of the Continental Congress. 

1776  (August 5) Declaration of Independence arrives at the city. Maj. Barnard Elliot reads it under the Liberty Tree near present-day 80 Alexander St..

William Henry Drayton and Arthur Middleton design the Great Seal of South Carolina; with matrices executed by Charles Town silversmith George Smithson. It would be used for the last time to seal the Ordinance of Secession in 1860. 

1780  (Feb 10) British troops under Sir Henry Clinton land on Seabrook Island, and make preparations to lay siege to the city. South Carolina Gazette editor Peter Timothy takes a spyglass up the steeple of St. Michael's Church and reports seeing smoke from hundreds of British campfires.

(April 4th) With the American forces that occupied Charleston “Military Lodge No. 27, Maryland Line, is chartered by the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania (Ancient) and is the seventh lodge to operate in Charleston.        

(Sept 3) The British capture Henry Lauren’s on his way to the Netherlands and is imprisoned in the Tower of London.

1781  On June 25th, Colonial John Mitchell was advanced to a higher degree. Brother Barend M. Spitzer, in a convention of Inspectors holden at the city of Philadelphia, conferred the degrees, and the rank of an Inspector upon Colonial John Mitchell. 

1782  (Dec 14) Defeated British Army marches out of city, ending the occupation.

(Dec. 23rd) The Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania chartered Lodge No. 38 in Charleston.

1783  (June 25th) The Gazette reported the celebration of St. Jon the Baptist by “the Ancient York Masons Lodges of this city.”

 (July 12) The Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania chartered Lodge No. 40 and it is called “St. Andrew’s Lodge.”

 Ill. Bro. John Mitchell becomes Master of the Lodge of Perfection established at Charleston.  

1784  Right Rev. Robert Smith delivers his sermon “Charity Sermon for the Masons No.100” again at St. Philips Church in Charleston.

Brother Thomas Bartholomew Bowen arrives in Charleston and proceeds to establish a newspaper that goes through various title changes.

Columbian Herald was a semi-weekly, tri-weekly, daily, various title changes.

Established November 23, by Thomas B. Bowen and John Markland as the semi-weekly Columbian Herald, or Patriotic Courier of North America. Issued tri- weekly from June 6, 1785 to November 24, 1785 when it became the semi-weekly Columbian Herald or the Independent Courier of North America. In the fall of 1790 the paper became tri-weekly and early in 1792 changed title to the Columbian Herald and the General Advertiser but by July 23, 1793 was once more the tri-weekly Columbian Herald and the General Advertiser. Four days later it became the Columbian Herald or the Southern Star. As of October 7, 1795 paper was the daily Columbian Herald or the New Daily Advertiser. Paper ceased with issue no. 1888 on December 17, 1796.        

1785  (March 19) The General Assembly charters the College of Charleston, making it the oldest municipal college in the country today. Right Rev. Robert Smith of St. Philip’s Church is the founder and first president of the College of Charleston.

1787  March 24th) The “Ancient” Masons in South Carolina organized the “Grand Lodge of Ancient York Masons.

(May) A Constitutional Draft for the Convention in Philadelphia is prepared by Charles Pinckney.

 (Sept 17) South Carolina delegates Pierce Butler, Charles Pinckney, John Rutledge, and Charles C. Pinckney sign the U.S. Constitution.   

St. Andrew’s Lodge No. 10, Charleston, South Carolina. St. Andrew’s Lodge received its warrant from the G.L. of Pennsylvania, at some period previous to 1787, as “Lodge No. 47.” It was one of the four Ancient York Lodges in Charleston that united in that year in the formation of the Grand Lodge of Ancient York Masons of South Carolina.

Col. John Mitchell is elected Master of Lodge No. 8, Charleston

1788  St. Andrew’s Lodge No. 40, surrendered its Warrant of 1787, and together with Lodges Nos. 38 and 47 of Pennsylvania, and Nos. 190 and 236 under the Athol Grand Lodge of England, formed the Grand Lodge of South Carolina. 

1789 Orange Lodge no. 14 held it’s first meeting on May 28th  

1791  Ill. Brother John Mitchell arrives in Charleston, South Carolina.

When Brother George Washington toured the southern states in 1791, he was met by the Intendant of Charleston on Queen Street one block from Lodge Alley.

May 7, 1791 President George Washington, with the City Intendment and Wardens, visited the Orphans House, and Col. John Mitchell is listed as the senior Commissioner receiving him, afterwards entertaining him at breakfast in the Commissioners’ Room.

1792  December 8, Henry Laurens passes away. His remains are cremated and his ashes interred at his estate called, “Mepkin” which is located 30 miles above Charleston on the Cooper River. He is the first recorded white person to be cremated in America.

Henry Laurens was a member of the Continental Congress on January 10, 1777 and served as President November 1, 1777 through December 9, 1778, elected Minister to Holland while a member of the Continental Congress on October 21, 1779.

Member of Solomen’s Lodge No.1 Charleston, South Carolina and served as Treasurer in 1755 and as Grand Steward in 1754. 

1793  August 29, it lists Bowen printing office.

“CHARLESTON: Printed by HARRISON & BOWEN, No. 38, BAY, and Corner of Elliot Street: -- Where EBay, Articles of Intelligence, Advertisements, &c. will be gratefully received, and every Kind of Printing Performed. —Subscriptions for this Paper at Five Dollars per Annum—one half on subscribing, the Remainder at the end of the year.”

(From this description we can locate where he had his printing shop. Address changed due to new buildings being built. However Bowen pinpoints the location at 38 East Bay and corner of Elliot Street.) 

The South Carolina Georgia Almanac, 1793, lists Bowen as Senior Warden of the  Mount Zion Society {incorporated in 1777} and from its establishment he was active in the Society of the Cincinnati at Charleston, holding offices and serving on various committees.

1794  The Grand Lodge of Ancient York Masons charters the eleventh lodge in Charleston and it is called “Orange Lodge No. 31.

1795  A major point of interest is the revelation in a list of lodges meeting in Charleston. The Lodge No’s are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 11, 14, and 31, nine in all were holding meetings. 

April 2, 1795, Bernard M. Spitzer appointed Col. John Mitchell a Deputy Inspector General and his patent as such were issued the same day. He was still in East Bay Street, a Magistrate and Notary Public, according to the city directory. 

1796  LaCandeur Lodge No. 36 is established on August 24th in Charleston. This lodge worked in the French language and kept its records in French and was allowed to work in the French Rite. Ill. Bro. Comte de Grasse with his father-in-law became a founder of Lodge La Candeur at Charleston.

December 12th Hyman Long and others issue a patent to De Grasse designating him to be a Deputy Grand Inspector General. 

1797  Ill. Brother Israel De Lieben is listed as a member of Orange Lodge No. 14 and as Hospitaller of the Grand Lodge during this year. 

1798  In a list of the officers and members of the South Carolina Society of the Cincinnati you will find these entries:

                    Thomas B. Bowen…Captain…Pa.

                    John Mitchell…D.Q.M. General…Pa.

Major Thomas B. Bowen was elected a member of the Society’s two Stewards on July 4, 1798, and it may be noted, parenthetically, that at the same time Col. John Mitchell was elected to the Standing Committee.   

Ill. Bro. Comte de Grasse is listed as Master of La Candeur Lodge in Charleston 

1799  June 24th, Col. John Mitchell Under signed a circular as Deputy Grand Master of the Grand Lodges to meet at Washington, D.C.           

1800  Three French Rite Bodies, A Lodge of Perfection, a Grand Council of Princes of  Jerusalem, and a Grand Sublime Council of Princes of the Royal Secret, was established in Charleston.  

1801  24th of May, the Bro. John Mitchell, “K.H.P.R.S., Deputy Inspector-General,” granted to “Fredrick Dalcho, Esquire, late First Lieutenant in the First Regiment of Artillerists and Engineers, in the service of the United States of America, and Paymaster to the regular troops in the State of Georgia), Physician in the city of Charleston, South Carolina, and member of the Medical Society of said State,” a patent, certifying him to be K. H. and Prince of the Royal Secret, and creating him Deputy Inspector-General.

On April 01 Dr. Auld was elected the 65th member of the South Carolina Medical Society, preceding Dr. Dalcho (the 66th member) by three months. Dalcho and Auld were within a few months of being the same age, and the two men had a number of mutual interests to draw them together.

The Supreme Council for the Scottish Rite was founded on May 31st at Shepheard’s Tavern located at the corner of Church and Broad Street.

Col. John Mitchell, Sov. Grand Commander

Dr. Fredrick Dalcho, Lt. Grand Commander

Emanuel de La Motta, Treasurer General of the Holy Empire

Abraham Alexander, Secretary General of the Holy Empire

Major T.B. Bowen, Grand Master of Ceremonies

Jean Baptiste Delahouge

Comte De Grasse 

Colonel John Mitchell, a native of Ireland and an officer of the American Army in the War of the Revolution established “The New Age Magazine on May 31, 1801.  

September 23 Dr. Dalcho delivers his first Orations to the “sublime Grand Lodge of Perfection” at Charleston. The “Oration” was dedicated to Col. John Mitchell, Supreme Grand Master, and President of the Supreme Council of Masons In the United States.

1802  Col. John Mitchell issues a “Circular through the two Hemispheres” commonly referred to as the Supreme Council’s manifesto. Dalcho states, “The above report was taken into consideration, and the Council was pleased to express the highest approbation of the same. Whereupon Resolved, that the forgoing report be printed and transmitted to all the Sublime and Symbolic Grand Lodges, throughout the Two Hemispheres.”

The Register shows Brother Bowen as a Past Grand Master of the Sublime Grand Lodge of Perfection, Grand Master of Ceremonies in the Chapter of Rose Croix and in the Grand Consistory, as well as holding the same title in the Supreme Council.   

Ill. Brother Abraham Alexander is listed in the Register of 1802 as the fourth officer of the Grand Council, as Grand Secretary of the Chapter of Rose Croix, and holding the same office in the Consistory and in the Supreme Council. 

Ill. Bro. Moultrie is listed as grand Orator and Keeper of the Seals in the Sublime Grand Lodge of Perfection, Grand Minister of State in the Consistory, and a Sov. Grand Inspector in the Supreme Council.

May 9th Ill. Bro. Moses Clava Levy was made an active member of the Supreme Council in Charleston.

August 2 Ill. Bro. Dr. James Moultrie, M.D. was made a member of the Supreme Council.         

1803  Dr. Dalcho delivers an Oration before the Grand Lodge of South Carolina titled,” An Oration Delivered In The Sublime Grand Lodge Of South Carolina, In Charleston on the 21st of March, A. L. 5807

1805  Brother Thomas Bartholomew Bowen dies at Hillsborough Plantation on July 12th and buried on the plantation. Brother Bowen is the first member of the Supreme Council to pass away.

1807  Brother Israel Delieben dies at Charleston on January 28th

Dr. Dalcho published the “Ahiman Rezon or a book of Constitutions” at the request of the Grand Lodge of Ancient York Masons for the state of South Carolina. With the help of Dr. Dalcho the Grand Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons and that of Ancient York Masons of South Carolina united under the name of “The Grand Lodge of Ancient Freemasons of South Carolina” which continues to exist to the present time.

John Fowler was directed by the Original Chapter of Prince Masons of Ireland to write Dr. Frederick Dalcho and ask his permission to reprint his orations from 1801, 1803, and 1807. Dr. Dalcho replied on February 25, 1808, expressing his gratification at the request and readily acceding to it. 

1808  The Ancient Grand Lodge and the Grand Lodge F. &A.M. (the Ancients and Moderns) consummated a union forming the Grand Lodge of South Carolina.

1809  Col. John Mitchell is listed as a Past Master of Union Lodge No. 8

1813  September 13, Ill. Bro. De La Motta published a Manifesto at New York in which he declares Joseph Cerneau was described as an “Imposter of the first magnitude” and all the bodies working under his direction as unlawful.

1816  (or 1826) Brother John Mitchell dies at Charleston January 25th

Brother Abraham Alexander dies at Charleston on February 21st  And is listed as the fourth member of the Supreme Council to Pass away. 

1817  Pythagorean Lodge No. 21 is established in Charleston, South Carolina. The first notice found on Pythagorean Lodge is in the proceedings of the Grand Lodge of A.Y.M., held in 1817. It is there designated by its name, but without a number.

Dr. Dalcho publishes a book on the theological works titled; A Letter On Public Baptism As Established By The Protestant Episcopal Church in the United States of America.

Washington Lodge No. 5  Charleston, South Carolina. At the Union in 1817 there was a Lodge in Charleston, on the registry of the Grand Lodge of South Carolina, whose number was 5, but whose name is no where to be found. In 1825 it united with Orange Lodge No. 14. In the same year Washington Lodge No. 7 and Union Lodge No. 8, both of Charleston, and both Lodges which, at the time of the union, were attached to the Grand Lodge of South Carolina, were, on their own petition, amalgamated into one Lodge, to be known as “Washington Lodge No. 5,” which name and number have been ever since retained by that Lodge.

1818  St. John’s Lodge No.13 Charleston, South Carolina. This Lodge, now long since extinct, once played an important part in the history of Masonry in South Carolina. St. John’s Lodge No. 31 (for that was the original number) was the leader of that organized opposition of Ancient York Lodges, which dissented from the union of the two Grand Lodges in 1808, and which caused the revival of the York Grand Lodge in 1809. It took its willing share, however, in the second and more successful union of 1817 and, on the necessary alterations being made in the registry of the Grand Lodge of Ancient Freemasons in 1818, it received the number 13.

1820  August Dr. Dalcho published another story, Evidences Of the Divinity of Jesus Christ; With The Testimony Of Christian and Heathen Writers, That He was Called GOD, And Worshipped as GOD, In the First Three Centuries

1821  Brother Emanuel De La Motta does at Charleston on May 17th

1822  February 9, Ill. Bro. Isaac Auld issued new letters of Constitution for the Council of Princes of Jerusalem at Charleston, inactive since the fire of 1819. Brother Jean Baptiste Delahogue dies at Paris, France on April 13th (May) The alleged slave uprising of Denmark Vesey is revealed to authorities.

 The first native-born architect in America, Robert Mills, designs the first fireproof Building in America standing at the corner of Chalmers and Meeting Streets. A native Charlestonians, Mills also designed the First Baptist Church And the Washington Monument in our nation's capital. 

Dr. Frederick Dalcho published his second edition of the “Ahiman Rezon.” 

November 15, Auld, Moultrie, and Levy meet as the Supreme Council to elect Dr. Moses Holbrook and Horatio Gates Street as newly made members of the Supreme Council in Charleston.     

1823  Ill. Bro. Moultrie is listed as a past master of Kilwinning Lodge No. 4 in the Grand Lodge Proceedings of 1823.

Ill. Bro. Rev. Dalcho on October 31, 1823 sends a letter of resignation to be read at the Grand Lodge meeting.

Dr. Isaac Auld is named the new Grand Commander of the Supreme Council. 

1824  Dr. Auld issues a letter of patent on August 13 to the Duke of Leinster as Grand Commander, John Fowler as Lieutent Grand Commander of the Supreme Council of the Thirty-third Degree for Ireland, and Thomas McGill as Treasurer General.

September 16th Illustrious Brother General La Fayette arrives in Charleston and is warmly received by the Brethan of this city. 

1825  Union Lodge No. 6 is incorporated with St. Andrew’s Lodge No. 10 Washington Lodge No. 7 is incorporated with Union Lodge No. 8

The membership of the Supreme Council was as follows;

Isaac Auld, Grand Commander; Moses Holbrook, Lieutenant Grand Commander; James Moultrie, Secretary General; M.C. Levy, Treasurer General; Horatio Gates, Alexander McDonald, Joseph Barker, Joseph Eveleth (Massachusetts), John Rochie, Giles F. Yates (New York), Frederick Dalcho (Past Grand Commander).

1826  May 16, Dr. Dalcho published another address, “An Address Delivered in St. Michael’s Church Charleston Protestant Episcopal Sunday School Society, At their Seventh Anniversary May 16 Being the Tuesday in Whitsun Week 1826

Brother Isaac Auld dies at Edisto Island on October 23rd of country fever and is buried on Edingsville Island off of Edisto Island.

1836  Brother James Moultrie dies at Charleston on November 20th

Brother Frederick Dalcho dies at Charleston on November 26th

St. John’s Lodge No. 13, Charleston, South Carolina In 1836 it became extinct, and a considerable amount of funds, including ten shares of Planters and Mechanics’ Bank stock passed into the treasury of the Grand Lodge. St. John’s Lodge, during its existence, contained on its roll the names of some of the most zealous and intelligent Masons in the jurisdiction.

1839  Brother Moses Clava Levy is at Charleston on April 2nd   

1844  Wallahalla Lodge No. 66 is established in Charleston on June 4th. The warrant was granted June 4, 1844, to J. A. Wagener, W.M., J. J. Boesch, S.W., and C. Bruner, J.W. Several German Masons for the benefit of their countrymen who were not well acquainted with the English language instituted the Lodge. It accordingly works in the German tongue.

1845  Brother Comte De Grasse dies at Paris, France on June 10th at 12:30AM due to chronic bronchial pneumonia.

1850  Albert G. Mackey, in his capacity as a Grand Inspector General from the Supreme    Council of the Scottish Rite, Southern Jurisdiction, organized the first Council of  Royal and Select Masters in South Carolina. 

Strict Observance Lodge No. 73, Charleston, South Carolina. The warrant of this Lodge was issued on March 5 to F. C. Barber, W.M., S. J. Hull, S.W., and Langdon C. Duncan, J. W.

Landmark Lodge No. 77, Charleston, South Carolina. The warrant was issued on      December 11 to John A. Gyles, W.M., Theo. S. Gourdin, S.W., and Wm. A. Gourdin, J.W. The Lodge was formed out of Solomon’s Lodge No. 1, five of the Past Masters, and five other members having withdrawn from that Lodge to constitute Landmark Lodge.


History of the Supreme Council 33°


By: Ray Baker Harris

Dated: 1964

The History of Freemansory of South Carolina

By: Albert A. Mackey, M.D.

Copy Right: 1931

Various Documents on Locale Lodges in Charleston

Various Newspaper articles printed in Charleston

Various Documents obtain from Philadelphia on Masonic Lodges in Charleston

From the 1700-1800’s   Josh Silver-Liberian

Any and all material herein is protected by Copyright © 1992 – 2014 The Sinclair Group, Inc.  All Rights Reserved. Nothing from this website may be copied or reproduced, in part or whole, or in any manner, without the express written approval of the owner of this website or the author of the particular work.  This includes, but is not limited to, all photos, stories, graphics, and information on this website.